Thursday, December 18, 2014

12/15/14

Plan for the week: run, yoga, sprinkle in 7 day exercises
I know I complained (and complained) about having to do the 7 day exercises every, well, day, but  I am going to keep them in my rotation. They definitely toned me. I have to say that lunges can certainly make a runner. My thighs are so strong right now. Particularly on hills. If you have hills, as I do, I would suggest lunges, lunges, and then a few more lunges.
In one set of 7 day exercises 3 out of the 5 exercises has squats and lunges involved. I guess that really helped me. Three sets three times a week: I think I could even stay on Charby if she got excited at this point. Of course, I will have to keep doing them as I don't think I am getting on Charby until next spring. At which point she is sure to put me to the test. Back to the weather: I don't foresee any decent ground for a four-legged beastie to be exercised on anytime soon.
Mother Nature has been extremely capricious up here. Snow, rain, ice, mud, we have had it all. When I went out for a run one day this week it was unexpectedly lovely, everything had a sugar sprinkled and glazed look.
                                                The apples looked so cool with their glaze,
                                                            just ready for the plucking,

where the evergreens all looked as if Mother Nature 
had sprinkled confectionery sugar all over them.

Running outside does so much to uplift my spirits. I read an article recently where the runner said               " there's magic to be harvested, but you have
       to lace your shoes with at least the
slightest seed of a smile"
I have to say I don't agree with that. I can be having the worst day ever and go for a run and I feel so much better after just the first quarter mile. I have to focus on something other than my misery--or I may end up on my butt after I misstep. Once I am in the groove, my muscles moving smoothly along, my brain starts to work on the problem and if I don't find a solution, the endorphins at least kick in and it doesn't seem as bad. Even on a bad run day, where I have to use the carrot method to get me out to my destination, and I have side cramps and each footfall seems to take forever, I feel better when I get back: I did it through the awfulness and that can always make one feel better about oneself.
I think it just proves that we all run for different reasons. And have different ways of getting ourselves out there. But in the end, we all run. We all know the joy, the freedom of running away from our problems....and running back to face them, stronger for the journey.



No comments:

Post a Comment